BENJAMIN SCHOOL DISTRICT 25
Green/Environmentally Conscientious Initiatives
- Board Policies 4.70 Resource Conservation and 4.160 Environment Quality of Buildings and Grounds, and Administrative Procedures 4.70-AP Resource Conservation and 4.160-AP Environment Quality of Buildings and Grounds address green initiatives and practices.
- Alpha is using green cleaning chemicals. The school district’s cleaning products are in the process of being assessed to be certified green.
- Hazardous Materials Handling sheets are used for chemicals in classrooms.
- The school district is collaborating with Village of Carol Stream on items such as no idle zones and distribution of CFL bulbs.
- Energy conservation efforts include:
- Energy audits
- Energy Star ratings
- Light bulb replacement this year to increase energy efficiency
- Light controllers installation
- Energy education for faculty and cleaning staff (examples: turn off lights, shut down computers/monitors/printers)
- Continue to search for further energy conservation strategies such as amount of lights used for security at night
- Benjamin Middle School has reduced food service trash by switching to reusable trays instead of Styrofoam trays to reduce number of trash pickups from three to two per week.
- We have installed and are using solar panels, solar powered model cars and other toys as energy educational tools.
- The School Board approved to seek grants to fund wind turbine as specified by proposal. We plan to use it as an energy education educational tool.
- Staff and students are conserving printer ink by using different fonts.
- The district recycles printer cartridges, paper, metal, and plastic.
- The Administration Service Center is reducing the use of plastic water bottles by using the water cooler and paper cups until we have Lake Michigan water.
- The weekly bulletins to board members are now being E-delivered resulting in cost savings of paper, envelopes, and mileage.
- Electronic (E-Backpack) fliers are now posted on our website conserving paper usage.
- Our staff submits ideas to consider for energy conservation and cost savings.
Challenges: Providing recycling containers for events including chess tournaments, staff luncheons, etc. and continuing to identify new or improved green strategies